A room does not qualify as a bedroom just because it contains a bed. While you could find it useful as a guest room, when it comes to adding a property to a real estate listing, there are legal definitions of bedrooms. Continue reading if you have a unique space and aren’t sure if it qualifies as a bedroom. For expert assistance, call Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices at (310) 373-0021.
In California, there are strict requirements
Some states have no regulations at all; if a room has a window and a closet, it is considered a bedroom. In California, a room must fulfill a number of additional criteria in order to be classified as a bedroom. They are as follows:
- It must have a closet, indention, alcove, or wing wall that generates at least a one-foot-deep space.
- A minimum of 70 square feet is required, with no dimension smaller than seven feet.
- A natural light source that covers at least 8% of the floor area is required.
- Natural ventilation is required, with an aperture of at least 4% of the floor area.
- For rescue or escape purchases, it must have at least one window or door that opens to the outside.
- The height of the ceiling must be at least 7’6″.
- Heating must be provided to maintain a temperature of 68 degrees Fahrenheit three feet above the floor.
- There must be a smoke detector fitted somewhere in the room.
- Outlets must be provided every 12 feet along a wall line, within six feet of a wall breach, and every wall gap of two feet or greater must have an outlet.
- All electrical outlets must have an arc-fault circuit interrupter.
- The light fixture must be controlled by a single wall switch.
- Gas appliances are not permitted in a bedroom (except specific types of direct vent units)
- There can’t be a room or a door that leads straight into the garage.
As you can see, there are a lot of criteria that a room must satisfy in order to be classified as a bedroom. Your real estate broker or agent can assist you in determining whether or not a certain room qualifies as a room.
What to do if a room doesn’t meet the definition of a bedroom
It doesn’t imply you’re out of alternatives just because a room you use as a bedroom doesn’t strictly qualify. It may be used as a home office, a game room, a home theater, or a variety of other enjoyable uses. Contact Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices at (310) 373-0021 for additional information on how to position your house.